Bulk bag unloading and filling is carried out in many facilities. Bulk bags (aka Flexible Intermediate Bulk Containers, or FIBC’s) are used to bring input materials into production facilities and also to transport finished product from the production plant to the customer. Some facilities choose bulk bags to carry both their input and output materials, while other use this packaging method for only one or the other. Due to the nature size and weight of filled bulk bags, filing or unloading is an activity that needs to be carried out safely and effectively.
Bulk bag unloading and filling: challenges
Emptying bulk bags filled with material requires a method for safely elevating the filled bag and discharging the contents for feeding into the next process. The safest way to accomplish this is through the use of a bulk bag unloader (sometimes known as a bulk bag or FIBC discharger).
Bulk bag unloaders permit controlled, safe and efficient operations when unloading FIBC’s. Although relatively simple in design, bulk bag unloaders allow operators to elevate a filled bulk bag into the unloader, where it can be safety fastened and made ready for emptying. Once in position, a filled bulk bag can be safely untied and emptied, allowing the contents to be moved onto the next stage of the production process.
Increasingly, production facilities are loading free-flowing dry materials from their production process into bulk bags. The filled bags are then either warehoused to satisfy future customer demand or shipped directly on to the final customer.
Most bulk bag fillers available in the marketplace today are designed to receive product directly from a production process. Since many facilities are using bulk bags of various sizes, most bulk bag fillers available today have an adjustable frame that easily adapts to a variety of bag sizes.
Many bulk bag fillers work by allowing the empty bag to be mounted onto the frame of the filler and secured by a ventilated collar. Once the bag is in position, an operator can release material into the bag. As the released material fills the bag, displaced air is vented through the ventilated collar. Many manufacturers have designs that permit direct connection a facility’s dust collection system to trap any dust generated during the filling operation.
Bagstander bulk bag unloaders from UniTrak
Bagstander bulk bag unloaders from UniTrak are available in both a hoist-operated and forklift loading model. Each model ensures zero material leakage and dust-free operation during any unloading procedure. Each unloader has the following features:
- Performance-engineered, heavy-duty construction. Each Bagstander is custom engineered for your application and built from heavy-gauge square tubing, with footplates lagged to the floor. Bagstander unloaders are a rock solid and immovable way to safely handle and unload FIBC’s.
- Safe and efficient operation. Unique hooked-loop retainers on the detachable lifting frame make it impossible for the loops to slip or slide. The lifting frame assures positive, accurate, safe positioning every time. When the bag is in place, it is fully caged within Bagstander’s frame and safely secured at the top, fully supported by the hopper.
- Iris valve (standard with every unit). Each Bagstander comes equipped with an aluminum body valve, with polyurethane-coated nylon diaphragm, that allows product to flow from the bag without the operator ever coming into contact with the product.
- Adjustable bottom and top frames. Bagstander offers designs which support a greater than 16” total bag size range adjustment if your FIBC’s are more varied in height. Overall height dimension will increase beyond the 141” dimension stated.
- Full design flexibility. Describe your application and we’ll design a Bagstander to accommodate your process line’s requirements—including standard screw conveyors or feeders, aeromechanical and flexible screw conveyors, bucket elevators, etc. If required, Bagstander can be factory-fitted with a vibrator to ensure complete, waste-free emptying. And, if you receive your materials in bulk bags and 50-pound sacks, UniTrak has a Bagstander that can accommodate both with integral Bag Dump Station.
Bagstander bulk bag fillers from UniTrak
Bagstander bulk bag fillers are designed with an adjustable framework that will straddle a pallet or optional platform scale with controller-enabled bulk bag weight control. These bulk bag fillers are constructed with a fully welded frame made from carbon steel, with stainless steel construction available as an option. The ventilated collar is manufactured from stainless steel and fitted with removable dust sock which allows for direct connection to a dust control system. A fork-lift (FLT) option is also available which enables the filler to be easily moved to different locations. This option adds integrated fork-lift pockets, together with a solid bottom plate and cross braces for additional strength.
Bagstander bulk bag fillers are designed to fill bulk bags with accuracy and safety. Utilizing a low- maintenance design, our bulk bag fillers offer years of trouble-free maintenance.
If your production process requires bulk bag unloading and filling, UniTrak has the equipment and experience to help ensure the activity is carried out efficiently and safely. To find out more about the Bagstander line can help with your bulk bag unloading and filling, please contact our sales team for further information.